Tuesday, February 15, 2011

GF Coconut Flour White and Chocolate layered Valentine's Day Cake


So I don't have an actual picture of the cake I made. My impatience led me to trying to pop the cakes out of the pans before they were cooled, so they fell apart. However even though it wasn't an aesthetic piece of art this year it was sooo good. I first made the coconut flour cake recipe. My heart pans require 2 boxes of regular cake mix. I was hoping I made enough batter, but I didn't so I had to get what was left in my house, Bob's Redmill GF Chocolate Cake mix. So after my coconut flour mix baked half way, I layered the chocolate cake mix over the top. The filling was the whip cream, then I finished it with the frosting. Here are the recipes I found on the web and altered some of them a little:

Coconut Flour White cake
  • 1 cup coconut flour, sifted (Can be found at Whole Foods)

  • 1 teaspoon sea salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 12 eggs (Avocadoes can be substituted for eggs, but the white cake would probably turn green)

  • 1 cup grapeseed oil (Found at Trader Joe's)

  • 1 cup agave nectar (Trader Joe's, Sprout's, or Whole Foods)

  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTION Preheat oven to 350

1. In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and baking soda

2.In a medium bowl, blend together eggs, grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla

3.Mix both wet and dry ingredients together.

4. Pour batter into a well greased cake pan.

5. The recipe said to cook for 20 minutes, but I'm sure I cooked mine for well over an hour.


Bob's Redmill Chocolate Cake Mix has the recipe on the back, but in place of the milk I used almond milk. In place of the butter/margarine I used Athenas Greek Honey Yogurt.



Whip Cream

2 cans of coconut milk full fat (Make sure it's in a can and not drinking milk)

1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Place your cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours. The longer the better. So when you bring them home from the grocery store just tuck two into the ice box for when you need emergency whipped cream.

Also, place your bowl and whip into the freezer for at least 3 hours to chill. I use my son’s Kitchen Aid mixer with the balloon whip.

Once you take your bowl and whip out of the freezer and set up the mixer do not waste time. You need to keep the equipment cold. Open the cans at the bottom with a bottle opener to drain off the coconut water. Save this it is great for smoothies. Now open the top of the can all the way and scoop out the thick cream.

Start your mixer on low and move up 1 or 2 notches for speed until you get to moderate. As it starts to whip and increase in volume, gradually add in the powdered sugar. Once it’s mixed and looks fluffy like whipped cream, well you now have whipped cream.

Coconut Cream Frosting
1 cup
coconut milk
1 cup
agave nectar
pinch
sea salt
5 teaspoons
arrowroot powder (It can be expensive, so corn starch can be substituted)
1 tablespoon water
1¼ cup
coconut oil

  1. In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes

  2. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste

  3. Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan

  4. Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender Whisk vigorously to combine, then bring to a boil, briefly, until shiny

  5. Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil

  6. Allow pot to cool for 10 minutes

  7. Place pot in freezer refrigerator for 30-60 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white

  8. Remove from freezer refrigerator and blend again, until fluffy.


    The picture is supposed to depict what the cake was supposed to look like. I bought the pans from Michael's.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *