Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hitting the Grocery Store

It's always a frustration to figure out what to plan to eat, and finding quick and simple GF recipes is even a bigger challenge. I hate to cook, so I want something that is fast, easy, with few ingredients to make.

So my first week I set out to find 2 recipes to get me through the week. I like to make big batches of one meal to break up into several different lunches.

Now the good thing if you have an iPhone is that there is a gluten free application that can be downloaded, which will allow to look up foods and brands while in the grocery store to see if it's GF. Unfortunate for my Blackberry that when I tried to download the GF app on my phone it said it wasn't available for my phone or provider. Instead I went online and found a list of foods and ingredients that contained gluten and saved them in a note on my phone.

It took me an hour to find a couple bags of food at the grocery store, but 2 brands that claim to be completely gluten free are Yoplait and Frito Lays. I absolutely love Pina Colada Yoplait yogurt and Cheetos and Hint of Lime Tortilla chips, which are completely gluten free. At Kroeger's and I found gluten free hamburgers in their organic section. I brought home a bunch of fruits and veggies too.

I stopped to read the ingredients on everything I bought. I have love love loved Crystal Light for the longest time, but found that it has aspartame in it. Aspartame is an ant poison. However I found little sports drink packets close by that didn't have it. Today I saw a commercial for Crystal Light Fitness/Sports drink, so maybe they now have a product without apartame.

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods and asked for their gluten free guide and they were able to print out 19 pages of gluten free foods their store has to offer. That certainly will make meal planning much easier the next time. Here's the link to the items to the Whole Food near me: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/specialdiets/SW_FST_Gluten_Free.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *