Monday, November 5, 2012

Changing SAD into GLAD!

Seasonal Affective Disorder is very common when there is less sunlight.  Ever notice how on rainy days in the summer you feel like napping.  In areas where it gets cold and snowy it's the highest.  I've heard of figures of up to 70% of the population in these areas.  Around this time of year every year I get extra lethargic, and it usually happens to me around daylight saving time weekend in the fall.  I feel depressed about nothing.  Depressed that I have to go back to work on Monday.  Depressed that it's not as hot out anymore and I can't layout in the sun.  Depressed about going to work in the dark and getting off in the dark.  Living in the freezing cold frigid winters of Chicago was when it was the worst.  I was hopeless, lethargic, and not motivated to do anything.  It still happens to me in California but it's not as bad.

Before contributing the change of weather to your depression make sure that everything else is in order.  Make sure you don't have a thyroid issue, deficient in Vitamin D, or have a food allergy.  I'm a nurse and it's very common for nurses to have Vitamin D deficiencies, especially for those who work the nocturnal shift.  A group of us had our Vitamin D levels checked and we were all deficient.

There are a few ways to help offset the depression.
1.  Light therapy.  There are lights for this, but whether you agree with it or not fake baking will also help.

2.  Dawn simulators are timers that will gradually lighten your bedroom making it easier to get out of bed in the morning.  Set the timer an hour before you want to wake up and it will start with a dim light that gradually lightens your entire room.

3.  Take your Vitamin D.  I once had someone tell me that it made them feel soo good that they took more and more.  Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin meaning that it can become toxic in your body if too much is taken.  Take it wisely!

4.  Exercise.  I have to force myself to workout, but once I do it totally flips the depression.  The positive endorphins have been released, and I begin to feel warm and fuzzy about the day.  It really is the best medicine, and I feel the most effective.

5.  If it serious or you are having thoughts of suicide go see a doctor.  Anti-depressants also can be prescribed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *