Monday, May 17, 2010

Slow Lactic Acid Build Up with Salt Tabs


In running long distances such as a marathon it's more than likely lactic acid build up will be experienced. While I was out running my 15 miler for my 2nd marathon my legs were burning so badly that I had to stop and sit down. 5 minutes later I had to sit down again! I had to find a remedy that could slow down the lactic acid build up. My heart and lungs were able to handle this distance, but my body was slowing me down. The answer was salt tabs.

While working out the body begins a cycle of breaking down chemicals in our body. For the first few seconds the body uses glucose as energy. For diabetics, exercise is good to help regulate blood glucose levels. Then our body moves into ATP, with the byproduct being lactic acid. If you have taken college biology this is where the Kreb Cycle comes in. That boring stuff all makes sense now. Sodium bicarbonate is the buffer for lactic acid. However as we sweat we lose sodium. As we drink water we dilute the salt in our systems not replacing the needed salt. Some people become dilarious when exercising especially in extreme heats. The delirium is caused by a condition known as hyponatremia (↓Na+) or low sodium levels. Low sodium levels result in muscle cramps, and at a more serious level can lead to seizures or confusion. Sodium is an electrolyte, so that's why there's an emphasis on drinking electrolytes when sweating. Arguably though these drinks don't have enough salt and too much sugar.

In the marathons I have run it has been in cool October weather. In these conditions 1 tablet per an hour is sufficient. In more extreme weather; inwhich, there is more sweat, 2 tabs can be taken. I have found them at GNC or WalGreens.

I also take a potassium supplement when taking salt tabs. Back to biology, sodium and potassium are the two electrolytes that work together hand in hand in the Na/K pump. Potassium is also responsible for muscle contractions and muscle cramping, as well as regulating the electrical system of the heart. If potassium levels get too low (or high) with running it can lead to arrythmias, and if serious enough heart attack. Potassium is lost through sweating, vomitting, and diarhea, which the intense exercise of running can lead to any of these. Only take one potassium supplement a day, NOT each hour as done with salt. Remember too much potassium can lead to heart arrythmias too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *