Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Gluten Free Journey Begins

Since the time I was in junior high 20 years ago I have felt chronically tired with low energy. I can sleep in and an hour later have an overwhelming urge to nap. Showering wakes many people up, it makes me sleepy. Working out gives many people energy it relaxes me and makes me exhausted. I have ran 3 marathons and have been a runner practically my whole life. Everyone thinks I must have a lot of energy if I can do that, but in cross country and track practice in high school I always felt like I had no energy. On the days I had meets I could always nap on the bus rides there, which recharged me enough to give it my all. My mom had a 2 1/2lb thyroid goiter removed when I was 7 years old. I have had 3 tests done to see if I have thyroidism, but the results always return back negative.

It was mentioned to me that I might have a gluten intolerance. Some of the signs and symptoms include:
■Fatigue
■Chronic fatigue syndrome
■Mouth ulcers
■Anemia
■Iron-deficiency anaemia
■Osteoporosis
■Weight loss
■Short stature in children
■Diarrhea
■Constipation
■Abdominal bloating
■Crohn’s disease
■Diverticulitis
■Depression
■Attention and behavioral problems (in children and adults)
■Autism
■Skin problems
■Keratosis pilaris
■Asthma
■Irritability

Here's is one gluten intolerance story I have read on the web that has me convinced I need to try the GF diet:
In the mid-1990’s, I was a single mother working in an intense, high-stress sales environment. As such, I began developing aches & pains in my muscles & joints as well as extreme fatigue. The fatigue was so bad that it often had me napping in my car on afternoon breaks – I literally was nodding out at my desk, finding it impossible to stay alert. I attributed all of this to stress, as so many of us do.
Luckily, my massage therapist suggested that my symptoms might be linked to gluten allergy and asked me to eliminate gluten for 2 weeks as an experiment. After the 1st week, my digestion was clearly improving. By the end of that 2nd week, my energy went though the roof & I no longer needed those afternoon naps! The aching muscles & joints disappeared.I was convinced. While it was at first difficult & I had to overcome my cravings for bread & other foods, I found my alternatives.My body feels better now than it did 14 years ago, and that is saying a lot!"
Gluten can also be the cause of your body not getting the nutrients that it needs causing much fatigue. Whenever I go to the doctor's office my blood tests come back normal. However I know that my hemoglobin level sometimes runs low, because when I used to donate plasma in college there were times I was turned away. So let my gluten adventures begin........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *