Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The new Celiac's disease/gluten allergy/insensitivity discovery!

As I read Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book on her Celiac's disease many things were brought to light.

People with Celiac's disease or gluten intolerances have intestines damaged by gluten. Gluten takes away from the body's ability to get nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that it needs to be healthy. The root of many diseases is caused by the absence of these nutrients.

My mom at one point in time had stated that she felt she had an undiagnosed thyroid condition from the time she was in high school. Thyroidism can be marked by fatigue and lack of energy. Abnormal thyroids are caused by lack of ionized salt in the body. A gluten intolerance could be the cause of not receiving adequate amounts of this mineral. Other signs of Celiac's is delayed puberty and short stature as children. My mom reached puberty in the 9th grade, even I reached it a year later than my sisters. My mom is the only short child in her family of 5 kids, even my aunt, her sister is a tall woman at 5'10." My mom is shorter than her mother by 3 inches. Celiac disease often times does not exacerbate itself until something traumatic physically happens to the body, child bearing being one. My mom's thyroid condition was discovered a year after the birth of my youngest sister. Thyroidism often appears after the birth of children due to using all of its resources to carry the child. Perhaps in these cases it is an undiagnosed Celiac's disease. Less than 5% of those with Celiac's are diagnosed in the United States, because doctors don't know much about the disease. It is often misdiagnosed by the disease or illness it causes. On average it takes 10 years before someone discovers they have it, but to get that average there has to be many way above that margin and some below. For me it's been 18 years, but 14 years since I became an adult to self explore on this issue.

I have had my thyroid tested 3 times since the age of 18 due to my fatigue and the heredity in the family. My TSH levels always come back normal, but it still doesn't explain why I constantly have low energy. If my mother is a Celiac or has a gluten intolerance there is a chance that I have it too!

The amount of gluten added to our food has doubled and tripled in our foods over the past couple decades. Wheat is not an original natural substance that our early ancestors ate. Our bodies don't recognize gluten and as a result our bodies react with different types of diseases, obesity, and unrecognized as gluten intolerance side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Sign up now!

Pinterest

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *